In Calcutta, a society for the promotion of Industrial Art is established with representation from both Europeans and Indians, with Colonel Goodwyn as its President with Justice Hodgson Pratt and Babu Rajendralal Mitra as Secretaries.
A prospectus issued on behalf of the committee on 6th April, proposes to start a school of Industrial Art in Calcutta, with a view to provide instruction in modelling, engraving and printing.
The school opens on 16th August at Garanhata, Chitpur, in a house donated by Raja Pratap Chandra Singh and his brother Ishwar Chandra Singh.
The school shifts to Colootala in the middle of November.
The first art exhibition by the students of the school is held from 22nd January to 3rd February.
On 10th and 11th October, the first annual exhibition with the works of students takes place.
The first Government Grant of Rs.600/- is sanctioned by Lord Canning in July.
Henry Hover Locke joins the school as Principal on 29th June.
The school comes under the control and supervision of the Director of Public Instruction, Govt of Bengal, and is shifted to 166 Bowbazar Street, Calcutta.
Locke introduces extensive changes in curriculum.
Students execute some useful works for the Asiatic Society.
105 students complete the course in different disciplines.
An art gallery opens at 164 and 165 Bowbazar Street to engage the interest of the general public in art and to provide additional instructions through examples in various branches of art.
A new chapter opens when the school gets its own building adjacent to the Indian Museum on Chowringhee ( 28 Jawaharlal Nehru Road, Kolkata 700016 ), its present location.
The Art Gallery in Bowbazar closes down.
E. B. Havell joins as the principal on 6th July.
The Annual Examinations becomes a regular academic feature.
At the educational conference in Simla, presided by Lord Curzon, the Viceroy, the matter of state aid and control is reiterated. Havell's recommendations of emphasizing the original works based on Indian tradition and heritage is accepted.
'Delhi Durbar' exhibition takes place at Qudsia Gardens and Abanindranath Tagore is honoured with a silver medal for his painting: Last Hours of Shajahan.
Abanindranath Tagore, the first Indian artist to join the school as the Vice Principal who officiated as the Principal from 1906 to 1908.
Some senior students including Nandalal Bose, accompanies Lady Harringham to Ajanta caves for making copies of the rare murals of Buddhist era.
Percy Brown takes over as the Principal and introduces some changes. For the first time, students were commissioned to prepare Industrial Art pattern Books for Dacca Silverware and Bengal Ivory carving.
Abanindranath leaves the Govt School of Art.
Jamini Prakash Ganguly, the next Vice Principal, divides the Fine Art stream into two sections: Fine Art and Indian Painting, with Percy Brown's approval.
Sashi Kumar Hesh, a student of the school in 1890s, becomes the first elected Indian associate of the Royal Scottish Academy.
Mukul Chandra Dey, a member of Chicago Society of Etchers and a Royal College of Art Associate, becomes the principal in July. He was the most important practitioner of dry point-etching in India. He retired in July 1943.
An exhibition of paintings by Jamini Roy takes place in September.
An exhibition of Rabindranath Tagore's paintings is inaugurated at the art school on 20th February.
Co-education is introduced.
Atul Bose, a GCAC alumnus & Royal Academician - a legendary master of the academic mode of painting, becomes the Principal.
A well curated portfolio of wood-cut prints is published by Ramendranath Chakraborty (the Principal), who introduced the first artistic publication of the original works done in GCAC. He retired in July 1943.
The School of Art is declared as a College with effect from 2nd July, 1951.
Nandalal Bose's retrospective exhibition is held in the College.
The system of convocation is re-introduced by Chintamoni Kar during the presidency of Nirmal Siddhanta, the Vice Chancellor of Calcutta University.
The Government College of Art & Craft, Calcutta, celebrates its centenary.
B.V.A. (the Bachelor of Visual Art) degree course starts with the affiliation of CU.
M.V.A. (the Master of Visual Art) degree is introduced.
The college changes its syllabus as per U.G.C. norms.
Ph.D. degree and Programme is introduced.
The Government College of Art & Craft, Calcutta, receives the U.G.C. affiliation on 15th July.
The Government College of Art & Craft, Calcutta, receives Grade 'A' from NAAC in January.